Report Designer Issues?

I rebuilt my computer and installed the VWD2008 instead of the VWD2005. I upgraded as the report viewer functions for 2008 were finally released. I pulled in a project build under 2005 and let it do it’s upgrading. Now I have issues with the report viewer
functions. I get an error in the developement control ie

Error Creating Control-ReportViewer1

Failed to created public designer ‘Microsoft.Reporting.Webforms.ReportViewer.Webforms, Version 8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PubicKey Token=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’

Looking at my web.config file I find two references to Microsoft.ReportViewer. A version 8.0.0.0 and a 9.0.0.0. Do I have a version error which wasn’t corrected in the upgrade?

<assemblies>

<add
assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms,
Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A
"/>

<add
assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common,
Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A
"/>

<add
assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms,
Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A
"/>

<add
assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common,
Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A
"/></assemblies>

 When I created a new report viewer it tells me

Error Creating Control-ReportViewer1

The server Tag ‘rsweb.ReportViewer’ is ambiguous. Please modify the associated registration that is causing the ambiguity and pick a new tag prefix. 

Any help?

UPDATE: Looking at the web.config file there are two references to Reportviewer version 8 and version 9. When the upgrade originally runs it does nothing to the web.config file and the program
will run fine and all reports can be run but have an error if tried to edit or view in development. If you build a new report with the new report viewer/builder for vwd2008 you will get two instances in the web.config file but will be able to edit in the development-The
problem comes when compiling-so many errors- It appears the reports developed in vwd2005 cause errors when tring to run it vwd2008. I have changed the web.config to a 2008 version and changed all the reports over to 2008 and I still get errors in the aaplication
code which stops it from running. For now I will have to revert back to 2005 until I can figure this out.

I solved the problem by doing the following.

  • <div mce_keep="true">I built another website under vwd2008. Build a dataset and report and report viewer.</div>
  • <div mce_keep="true">I copied the web.config file to a txt.doc</div>
  • <div mce_keep="true">I opened my site with the problems </div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">made a copy of the original web.config </div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Copied and pasted my saved web.config from my txt.doc file location</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">opened and copied my connections from my original web.config and pasted to my new web.config.</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">You then have to go to every report viewer instance and change the reference from 8.0.0.0 to 9.0.0.0 and check your ObjectDataSource for missing parameters ie config the source to make sure its right. You have to fix them all to eliminate
      the errors.</div>
  • <div mce_keep="true">Now I am happy[Yes] and can get the reports to view that I want without pulling my hair out.</div>

Leave a Reply