The last time I used the publish command for Visual Studio was in 2008 with VS 2005 for a Asp.Net 2.0 web forms web site, before they reinstitued the web application. I seem to recall that after the web application was reinstituted, (also in 2.0), all we
had to do was carry out a build in release mode. (Update: I tried that now, but the web app still contains all of the cs files that I expected would have been compiled into the assembly (dll).)
Now I’ve run into a problem building an MVC 4 EF 5 .Net 4.5 deployment package in VS 2012
- I was using the VS 2012 publish feature.
- I did not show a database in the login database connection string because we are not allowed to use Asp.Net DotNetOpenAuth.
- I did not show a database connection string for the Entity because we are not allow to have connection strings in our web.config.
- I specified the location to publish the package.
I got the below error:
Copying file bindeMicrosoft.Data.Edm.resources.dll to objReleasePackagePackageTmpbindeMicrosoft.Data.Edm.resources.dll failed.
Could not find file 'bindeMicrosoft.Data.Edm.resources.dll'.
I don’t understand the error message. Why is the application looking for the folder "binde" I have no interest in deploying anything to a German bin folder.
Update: So I went into my project and deleted all of the foreign folders, and tried again. This time the error was:
Copying file binDotNetOpenAuth.AspNet.xml to objReleasePackagePackageTmpbinDotNetOpenAuth.AspNet.xml failed. Could not find file 'binDotNetOpenAuth.AspNet.xml'.
OK this one I understand as there are a number of references in my bin folders to useless DotNetOpenAuth assemblies and xml files. However, the xml files all show up with the exclamation point in the yellow triangle, (for which I have never found an explanation
but appears to mean the file is missing). However I remember the last time I deleted all of the DotNetOpenAuth files I ended up disabling my project and it took 1 week to restore my project from a prior copy and get it to successfully compile again. So I
am very nevous about deleting files from the bin. I am also confused how these file can show up as being in the bin, but not be in the bin. I never put them in there and (in this version), I never took them out.
Any ideas on how I should go about rectifying this?
More Updates: I followed advice given on this thread
http://forums.asp.net/p/1969615/5641644.aspx?p=True&t=635296309422226076&pagenum=1 in deleting the DotNetOpen Auth assemblies. This was able to compile successfully.
However then the published failed with:
Copying file binEntityFramework.xml to objReleasePackagePackageTmpbinEntityFramework.xml failed. Could not find file 'binEntityFramework.xml'.
It is my guess that it will fail on each of the xml files that are not present. What are these xml files? I never saw them in any previous version of VS. They are obviously not necessary for the project to compile. If the template creates them as being
in the bin directory on creating a new MVC 4 EF 5 project then why didn’t it put the files in there? Can I just delete all of the pointers to them without repercussions?
Thanks for your post.
You have resolved this issue by deleting all of the files and folders under objRelease in Visual Studio.
I think this may have been caused by old references to some of the files which were no longer required by the project.
Hope this helps you.
Every single assembly contained in the bin folder had a corresponding xml file shown that in actual fact was not in the bin. I had no references to any xml files. This was the way the project was create by the template. I never put them there nor did
I remove them.
I deleted the listing of those files in the bin when the publish was failing to work, and I discovered that there were no such files in the actual bin.
I still have not heard from anyone on what those xml files and while they were entered into bin folder on Visual Studio, no such actual files were created
Update: 5/8/2014 Have not abandoned this thread. I am still awaiting an answer to my question.
I’m having the same problem, joeller. Sorry, not much help other than that.
I tried finding the xml in the solution explorer, opening in xml editor and saving a copy to the bin folder but that vanished again when I tried to rebuild.
something I did find out while doing a publish. I had a custom assembly, that I was adding to a web app. I had already done a publish then found an issue in the dll that had to be rectified causing it to be recompilee. I copied all three files to the
(dll, pdb, and xml) to the bin folder of the web app. Then I did a build of the web app. upon doing the buiild of the web app, the xml file went away, and the subsequent publish did not work. But if I readded the three files and did the publish without
doing the build, then the xml files were retainded for the publish.
So the issue appears to be while are these xml files included in the solution in the first place if the build is merely going to delete them.